It might be surprising to know how many industries use ultraviolet light to decontaminate and sanitize our world. The UV rays destroy the DNA of microorganisms such as viruses, molds and other pathogens causing them to die and not be able to reproduce. UV light can also be used to visualize things which cannot be seen with the naked eye. When UV light waves hit these substances, they “flouresce” or “glow”. It causes the waves to be absorbed and re-emitted in longer wave lengths that can be seen.
- Water Sanitation – UV systems are used to sanitize everything from waste water to drinking water and swimming pools. According to the World Health Organization, UV light is a recommended method for disinfecting household and community water.
- Pest Control – UV lights can be used to identify the location of rodent urine stains and to visualize scorpions and other insects.
- Food Industry – The food industry has used UV light for many years. Whether delivered via a wand or installed lighting systems, UV Light is used to clean liquids such as apple juice, decontaminate air in production facilities and sanitize preparation surfaces and packaging.
- Healthcare Industry – The Medical Industry is using UV light to disinfect hospital rooms and reduce the incidence of hospital acquired infections. Studies are being conducted currently to prove the effectiveness of using narrow length UV light during surgeries. UV lights are being used more and more to disinfect offices and homes. They can be used to kill flu and common cold viruses on computers, phones and other handheld devices and commonly touched surfaces. UV lights are increasingly being included in humidifiers to kill these viruses and molds which can live in the water.
- Forensics – UV dyes are used in marking certain items to identify criminals such as if applied to currency prior to a robbery. UV light can illuminate bodily fluids. UV photography can be used to detect deeper bruises than would be seen with the naked eye as well as to identify forgeries.
Decades of use has proven UV Light is not only efficient, but versatile and cost effective for use in both sanitation and visualization applications. It is used in many industries and is often a preferred chemical free option to disinfect and sanitize our homes and hospitals.